By now we have all known about and have used a bunch of traditional power strips, which are an affordable way to organize a good number of electrical appliances plug-ins in your home. However, such convenience can make you fairly forgetful to leave electronics plugged in all the time, thus piling up your electrical bill. All printers, DVD players, computers or plasma TV sets are just common examples of appliances with standby modes, making them convenient to use, but consume a significant amount of power. This only adds on to your bill, while wasting the lifespan of your electronics. Over the years, it can be a complete ecological disaster. Luckily, today we live in a time where some of the best smart power strips can be purchased.
Best smart power strips reduce the power usage in your home simply by shutting down power to all electrical appliances that go into standby mode. This simple change in your life can save you a lot of money. There are various statistics, however, most of them claim that standby power consumption in the average home ranges between 5 to 10 percent of your total household energy consumption, accounting for about 1 percent of worldwide carbon dioxide emissions. Since getting a smart power strip may be one of your best decisions, I am happy to present five reviews of the best smart power strips, thus perhaps helping you to reach a better decision when you will go online and place your order.
Pinlo Smart Power Strip – Our Pick
The Pinlo smart power strip comes equipped with 4 outlets and 4 USB charging ports which you can use for many of your appliances. This strip can really come in handy during the winter when you can easily put your Christmas lights up. Do note that the 4 outlets can be controlled individually, while the 4 USB ports can be controlled as one unit. To start using this power strip, all you need to do is to download the free Smart Life app on your smart device (compatible with iOS 8.0 or above and Android 4.4 or above) and use the app to control the device via 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. You can now always pre-set the timers and enter into a well-lit house every evening. Just make sure not to set the device far away from the Wi-Fi router since it can cause a connection drop.
This smart power strip supports voice control via Alexa and Google Assistant and safeguards your appliances from sudden electricity spikes via the surge protection part. It requires no hub and saves a lot of energy by allowing you to schedule your appliances to turn on and off any time and separately control each outlet as needed. Each of the smart outlets can be set up to 20 schedule tasks. The best part is that as this is one of the best smart power strips, it can support up to 30 smartphone control.
- Fairly easy installation and setup and requires no hub.
- Light indicator is a nice touch.
- A large button on the front to manually turn it off or on.
- This smart power strip is super responsive, especially if compared to other similar smart power strips.
- If you have Harmony Remotes, the product does not work with them.
- The overall size is larger compared to other Wi-Fi sockets, so be sure to measure your space first.
- It does not support 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi network, the same as many of the products.
The Tonbux power strip comes at a size of 7.8”x 3.9” x 1.1” multi-plug and weight of 1lb. The power cord length is 5ft. It has 4 AC outlets and 4 USB charging ports to use at home, in the office or while traveling. You can remotely control your indoor lights, heaters, fans, or other appliances at the same time – the 4 outlets can be controlled individually, while the 4 USB ports can be controlled only as one unit.
The smart power strip is easy to install and use. Simply connect your lights and appliances to the USB power strip, download free the Jinvo smart app on your smart device (compatible with IOS8 or above and Android 4.1 or above) and add it into your account via 2.4G Wi-Fi network. From here on, you can easily control the power consumption of your devices.
This, like other best smart power strips, works well with Amazon Alexa and Echo, letting you effortlessly control each of the outlets individually by simple voice commands. You can turn on and off all your devices at a pre-set time, for example, while you are at work. Tonbux power strip remote control means better adjusting the daily electrical consumption. The product comes with an overload protection switch and surge protection for effective absorption of the sudden voltage spikes, thus protecting the connected equipment from damage. To be safe, always buy the product from the single legal store on Amazon.
- The Tonbux smart power strip is small and compact, built with good quality.
- Offers remote and voice control of your devices and an away mode.
- It contains 4 USB charging ports and 4 AC outlets.
- You can set schedules and timers all within your Wi-Fi network.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot.
- The product is not compatible with Google Home.
- Some users complained that the smart power strip worked well for a few days and then became unresponsive, requiring long resets.
- Other users reported that the product randomly shuts off.
The Weton Wi-Fi smart power strip comes equipped with 4 AC outlets and 4 USB ports, easily usable wherever you need them around the house or at the office. Same as with the previous smart power strip, the 4 outlets can be controlled individually, while the 4 USB ports can be controlled only as one unit. The price is also pretty fair. To start, you need to simply connect to your Wi-Fi network and download the free app on your smart device (iOS 8 or above and Android 4.1 or above compatible). Do note that the product supports only 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and not the 5.0 GHz one. On top of that, the company offers a 12-month warranty and a friendly customer service, in case you face any issues and need assistance.
This is one of the best smart power strips, as it pairs well with Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot, enabling you to easily control the outlets via voice control. You can now effortlessly turn on and off your devices at scheduled times in order to save more energy and eliminate overcharge while protecting your devices. We tend to leave our electrical appliances on standby mode even when we are not at home, so having this product can stop this wasteful behavior. The product comes with an overload protection switch and surge protection for effective absorption of the sudden voltage spike, thus protecting the connected equipment from damage.
- Guarantees flexible use around the house and eliminates the need for using a charging adapter for your smart devices.
- Easy remote or voice control for your television or lamp, with no need of getting up.
- Very easy and simple setup, compared to other plugs.
- Good quality relay and outer case.
- Some users experienced difficulties with the app. At times it seemed unresponsive and demanded re-setting.
- The smart power strip doesn’t work with Google Home.
- At times, the users complained that the individual plugs do not work with Alexa, limiting the choice to all or nothing.
- Many users complained to very unresponsive technical support.
The Joly Joy Wi-Fi smart power strip has 3 AC outlets and 2 USB ports corresponding to the free app Smart Life. The UL certified power strip is 5.5ft long and is made with a child-proof valve, preventing kids from inserting fingers into it. It also comes with surge protection against unwanted spikes or voltage fluctuation, thus saving your electrical appliances from burning out. Joly Joy provides 30-day money-back policy, 1-year warranty and lifetime support.
The product is easy to install and use – just download the free app on your smart device (compatible with Android 4.1 or higher and iOS 8.0 or higher), pair it with the smart power strip and you are good to go. Make sure to use a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi when configuring, while 3G/4G/5G will be good afterward. Make sure not to exceed the maximum load of 10A /1875W.
Each outlet and USB port can be voice-controlled independently with Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot. If you use Google Home, you can only control all as a group. On top of that, you can create different schedules for some or all appliances to turn on and off, according to your preference. Anyone can easily control the smart plugs by voice or with the app. It is suitable for the elderly and your kids as well since all they need to do is to speak to it without touching any power sockets. Just name each slot and remotely control them individually. Once you connect the power strip with the app, grant access to the others by sharing your message.
- The Joly Joy smart power strip is totally children safe.
- Made with good materials.
- Easily rename each slot and remotely control them individually through the app and Alexa.
- Few users expressed doubts that surge protection exists, even though it’s advertised as such a product.
- The strip lacks holes in the back to facilitate mounting.
- The product can’t be configured on 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks.
With the Geeni Surge smart power strip you will be getting a product with 4 outlets, 4 USB ports, surge protection, and a 3ft cable. No hub is required. You can now control all of the plugged-in devices together or each individually. This power strip allows you to set schedules and works with existing Wi-Fi networks while saving you energy and money. Now you can plug in your TV, game console, cable box, and sound bar at the same place, but control each individually. The appliances in the kitchen can now be used at the same time on the kitchen counter. On top of that, you can charge up to four smart devices at the same time without a charger, freeing up the AC outlets. The device also has surge protection, safeguarding your electronic devices from power spikes.
Expectedly, this is one of the best smart power strips and can be voice controlled with Amazon Alexa and Google assistant. Anything you plug in can be controlled from anywhere using the free Geeni app or by using Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. The app is easy to download and use – just download it on your smart device and pair it with the strip. It’s as easy as that! You can now start using it effortlessly and enjoy your better living space.
- The free app is pretty basic and very simple to use.
- Easy control of each plug separately from both the app and via Alexa voice commands.
- Sufficient length of the cord, allowing for a better strip position.
- This smart power strip comes with a nice design.
- The app can sometimes get stuck and cannot connect to the device, as reported by a few users.
- Technical support is pretty unresponsive, as heard from other users.
- At times, the app is constantly resetting itself.
- The USB plugs can only be controlled as a group.
If you use some of the best smart power strips properly, they can help you save energy in your home and contribute to a better environment. However, when deciding upon which power strip to use, it is always a good idea to go through your electronics setup. There are many potential challenges, like the strip’s sensors preciseness (or often, the lack of it) to detect when devices go into standby mode, causing the electronics to continue drawing power when they don’t need to. So be smart when choosing and take several parameters into consideration.
Since I had some challenges when I was making a decision upon which smart power strip to purchase, I’ve decided to test out a few and reveal my choosing at the very end. If you ask me, I chose the Pinlo smart power strip and I warmly recommend it. It comes at a fair price and has the least issues caused. It is pretty similar to all of the other smart power strips, however, this one has a light indicator and a large button on the front to manually turn it off or on. I like it that is super-easy to install and use it. On top of it, the power strip is the most responsive one when compared to all other strips and does not reset randomly. Additionally, as with most of the power strips, this one has surge protection as well.
To be fair, it also comes with few downsides, but they are pretty irrelevant when you look at it – its size (which is pretty fine by me), or the fact that the strip does not work with Harmony Remotes. Perhaps some people might find it inconvenient that the power strip is not compatible with 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi network, but today this is the case with many other products.
I would appreciate it even more if it was child-proof though, however, this is not the most relevant aspect for me. Hence, if you are currently considering to make a well-informed decision on which of the proposed best smart power strips to buy for your home, take my advice and go with the Pinlo one. It guarantees safe use and it would last longer than any of the other ones, especially if you consider the price.
Read more: 5 Best Multi-Color Light Bulbs Reviewed